M.O.P CRS @ 107.8
Namadhu samudhayam, namadhu vanoli, namdhu perumai…
M.O.P. Vaishnav College for Women is India’s first Arts and Science College to take up an initiative in reaching the community through a Community Radio that can be tuned to listen @ 107.8. M.O.P CRS.
Launched in the year 2005, M.O.P CRS produces and broadcast shows on various topics from education to entertainment. The main objectives of M.O.P CRS is educating the community and reaching out to them so the topic varies from Health, Education, Entrepreneurship, Environment, Women Empowerment, Activities for children, awareness campaign, community development programs and many others.
The programs are educational and informative and they are packaged to the listeners in a more interesting way as jingles, story time, plays, interviews and PSAs. Women, Men and Children from Nungambakkam community, enthusiastically participates in all the shows and competitions organised by M.O.P CRS. Community development camps are conducted as a part of the community outreach activity.
The M.O.P CRS has received National awards twice for its contribution to the society.
M.O.P CRS is broadcast from 6.30 am to 10.30 pm every day.
THOZHIL SEIYALLAM THOZHI
In its mission to nurture socially conscious students, M.O.P. Vaishnav College for Women had declared the year 2019-20 as the year for the Village Adoption project ‘THOZHIL SEIYALLAM THOZHI’ – an initiative aimed to impart entrepreneurship skills to rural women.
The ‘Thozil Seiyallam Thozhi’ initiative was inaugurated on 13th July 2019 at S.K.D.J. Higher Secondary School, Thiruverkadu. Under this banner 15 villages were identified in the state of Tamil Nadu and various livelihood skills were imparted and awareness campaigns were conducted for women and Government school students.
The goals of this initiative include,
- To reach out to rural women in Tamil Nadu and make them self – reliant
- To inspire, ignite, educate and enable rural women to utilise multiple opportunities that entrepreneurship provides
- To propagate and impart life skills to women and children as proposed by the World Health Organisation (WHO)
- To inculcate values to students through service oriented and nation building activities and enable them to become socially responsible citizens
Some of the livelihood skills offered under the banner of ‘Thozil Seiyallam Thozhi’ include:
Quilling & Tassel Jewelry making
Follow up Action of the initiative
- After the Villages were adopted and skills were imparted, the students and faculty of the college visited the villages after a period of 3 months to check on the progress of the entrepreneurial venture of the
- At M.O.P Bazaar – The Annual Entrepreneurship Extravaganza of the college, a stall was set up by one of beneficiaries of the THOZHIL SEIYALLAM THOZHI’ initiative. The diary beneficiary from Thiruverkadu village sold tea and snacks (for which she received entrepreneurial training from the college) and made a turnover of Rs. 4,000.
- Akriti – The mock company run by the students of the college had contributed 3% of the proceeds it earned at M.O.P Bazaar towards the Thozhil Seiyalam Thozhi initiative.
As part of the ‘Thozil Seiyallam Thozhi’ initiative the college launched ‘Thozhi Pongal’ during the year 2020 – 2021 to benefit the women of the community. Under this banner, Care packages of Pongal festival package with essentials like rice, dal, jaggery and condiments were distributed to the participants from the community. The package also included mud pots and painting materials. Student volunteers involved the community members in a pot-decorating workshop, which developed into an avenue of income generation for the women.