The Department of English aims to teach students to read, write and speak English effectively and to provide them with the knowledge to communicate successfully in higher education and the corporate world. The curriculum has been framed to meet the demands of the corporate world and enhance the employability skills of the students. The department facilitates classroom engagement and interaction via computer-based exercises and activities to maximise language immersion through the Language lab that provides practice in an entertaining and interactive way to acquire English language skills. The students are also offered training at various levels to enable them take up international standard examinations like BEC, TOEFL, BULATS and Indian competitive entrance examinations. Foundation English courses are offered to all undergraduate programs in the first year and for few programs in the second year by the college.
Course Outcomes (CO) For Programs in Business Stream offering English in the First Year
Classes: I year BBA, B.Com (Accounting & Finance), B.Com (Corporate Secretaryship), B. Com (Marketing Management) & B.Com (Honours)
Course Outcomes (CO) For Programs in Non – Business Stream offering English in the First Year
Classes: I Year B.Sc. Mathematics, B.Sc. Computer Science, B.Sc. Psychology, B.Sc. Food Science & Management, B.Sc. Electronic Media, B.Sc. Visual Communication, BCA, B.A. Journalism, B.A. Economics and B.A. Sociology
Course Outcome For Programs offering English in the Second year
Classes: II B.A. Journalism, B.A. Economics, B.A. Sociology, B.Sc. Mathematics, B.Sc. Computer Science and B.Sc. Psychology
M.A, M.Phil (SLET)
Teaching: 20 years
Co – authored a workbook titled- Practical English Workbook for undergraduates. Publication: Emerald Publications Chennai.
- R, Jayalakshmi, Integrated Business English. 2017 The IUP Journal of English Studies, March 2017, Vol.XII, No.1, March 2017, pp 70-73 (ISSN: 09733728) SCOPUS.
- R. Jayalakshmi (Jan 2019). Protest literature- Cultural Identity in Okot P’Bitek’s Song of Lawino. Literary Endeavour, International Refereed Journal of English language, literature and Criticism, Vol X, Special issue no.3, 64-68 (ISSN:0976-299X) (UGC Journal No: 44728)
- R,Jayalakshmi (2019) Integrated assessment. New Academia: An International Journal of English Language and Literary Theory, Feb 2019, (online ISSN 2347-2073) special issue (UGC Journal No: 44829)
How to teach online providing continuity for students-
M.A., M.Phil., Ph.D, Diploma in Personality Development
Teaching: 4 years
Research: 3 years
‘I PRECEDES WOMAN’-A REALISTIC PERSPECTIVE IN THE SELECT NOVELS OF SUDHA MURTY
Shodhganga Link – http://hdl.handle.net/10603/233388
- B,Sahana (2019). Language as a Tool for Effective Communication Management. International Journal of Recent Technology and Engineering, 8(2S4), 422 – 423. (ISSN: 2277-3878) (SCOPUS)
- B, Sahana. (2020). The Design Thinking in Language Using AI. TEST Engineering and Management. 9616 – 9619. (ISSN: 0193-4120) (SCOPUS)
- B, Sahana. (2020). Language as an Integral Part of Emotional Intelligence Management. International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology. 29(12s), 398-402. (ISSN: 2207-63600) (SCOPUS)
Teaching: 7 years
- Anupama. R. (2020). Thinking inside the Box: Future of Sequential Interplay of Art and Words. International Journal of Advanced Science and Technology, 29(12s), 614 – 616. (ISSN: 2005-4238) (SCOPUS)
- R, Anupama, Autobiographical Elements in Maus and a Contract with God and Other Tenement Stories (August 8, 2016). The IUP Journal of English Studies, Vol. XI, No. 1, March 2016, pp. 39-43. (ISSN: 09733728) (ELSEVIER)
- Anupama R. (2016). Persepolis: An Alternate Perspective to Iranian Fundamentalism. Transnational Approach to Literary Studies. ISBN 978-81-930868-1-0
M.A., UGC NET
Teaching Experience: 2 years
Suryakumar, Amritha, and Tipston Rubus. “Dynamics of Purity in Culture: Disruptive Ideas of Gender Morality in Tamil Culture Through Cinema as Portrayed in Thyagaraja Kumararaja’s Super Deluxe.” Studies in Indian Place Names, vol. 40, no. 18, Mar. 2020. (ISSN number: 2394-3114)
Other Publications – Books
Suryakumar, Amritha. “The Absent King of Gandhara .” Lost and Misunderstood, edited by Radhika Menon, The Inkfeathers Publishing, 2021, pp. 35–42. (ISBN – 978-81-949324-1-3)
Suryakumar, Amritha. “A Tryst with Mundanity.” Twinkling Kwaab, edited by Srishti Sareen and Rutika Pandya, Book Squirrel Publications, 2020, pp. 150–154. (ISBN) – 978-93-90334-64-3)
Licenses and Certifications
Journalism and Mass Communication
Bharathiar University – Certification
English Composition by Duke University,
2016. (Coursera certification)
M.A English, UGC – NET.
J, Melina. “Representation of Feminism in 21st Century Indian Culture: A Study of the Legend of Lakshmi Prasad By Twinkle Khanna.” International Journal of English Literature and Social Sciences, 2 Aug. 2021, Vol. 6, issue 4, pp. 138 – 141, https://ijels.com/detail/representation-of-feminism-in-21st-century-indian-culture-a-study-of-the-legend-of-lakshmi-prasad-by-twinkle-khanna/.
“Feminism and Social Justice” from the University of California Santa Cruz, August 2020.
“Cultural Competence – Aboriginal Sydney” from The University of Sydney, October 2020.
“Grammar and Punctuation” from UCI Division of Continuing Education, November 2020.
“Understanding Research Methods” from the University of London, March 2020.
“Women on Environmental Biology” from Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, October 2020.