Composition of the Academic Council:
- The Principal (Chairman)
- All the Heads of Departments
- Teachers of the college representing different categories of teaching staff by rotation on the basis of seniority of service in the college.
- Experts/academicians from outside the college representing areas such as Industry, Commerce, Law, Education, Sciences etc., nominated by the Governing Body.
- Nominees of the University of Madras
- Member Secretary – A faculty member nominated by the Principal
Functions of the Academic Council:
The Academic Council has the powers to:
(a) Make regulations regarding the admission of students to different programmes of study in the college keeping in view the policy of the Government.
(b) Make regulations for sports, extra-curricular activities, and proper maintenance and functioning of the playgrounds.
c) Scrutinize and approve the proposals with or without modification of the Boards of Studies with regard to courses of study, academic regulations, curricula, syllabi and modifications thereof, instructional and evaluation arrangements, methods, procedures relevant thereto etc., provided that where the Academic Council differs on any proposal, it shall have the right to return the matter for reconsideration to the Board of Studies concerned or reject it, after giving reasons to do so.
(d) Recommend to the Governing Body proposals for institution of new programmes of study.
(e) Recommend to the Governing Body institution of scholarships, studentships, fellowships, prizes and medals, and to frame regulations for the award of the same.
(f) Advise the Governing Body on suggestions pertaining to academic affairs made by it.
(g) Perform such other functions as may be assigned by the Governing Body.
Board of Studies
Composition of Board of Studies
1. Head of the Department concerned (Chairman).
2. The entire faculty of each Program.
3. Two subject experts from outside the Parent University nominated by the Academic Council.
4. One expert nominated by the Vice-Chancellor from a panel of six recommended by the college principal.
5. One representative from industry/corporate sector/allied area relating to placement.
6. One postgraduate meritorious alumnus nominated by the principal.
7. The Chairman, Board of Studies, with the approval of the principal, co-opt:
(a) Experts from outside the college whenever special courses of studies are to be formulated.
(b) Other members of staff of the same faculty.
Functions of the Board of Studies
The Board of Studies of every program in the college:
(a) Prepares syllabi for various courses keeping in view the objectives of the college, interest of the stakeholders and national requirement for consideration and approval of the Academic Council.
(b) Suggests methodologies for innovative teaching and evaluation techniques
(c) Suggests panel of names to the Academic Council for appointment of examiners
(d) Coordinates research, teaching, extension and other academic activities in the department/college.