A STOREHOUSE OF INFORMATION
In keeping with the mission of the college, “To provide a unique learning experience which will enable the students to realize their innate potential and mould their overall personality” M.O.P Library strives to cater to the needs of its academic community to the best.
With a humble beginning of around 600 books in the year 1992, the Library can now boast of around 28,000 books in a span of 20 years. Ever since its inception, efforts have been put in by the management to develop the Library on the most modern lines.
The year 1997, when our former Principal Dr. Nirmala Prasad took over the leadership, the Library moved to a new spacious building. That year the number of books, which was around 4000, took a phenomenal increase and became 10,000.
The Library was also given the ‘Best Library Award’ by the Mylapore Academy in the year 1998.
Today ‘digital’ is the buzzword everywhere, but at a time when all leading city colleges were following traditional method of transactions, M.O.P library was a pioneer to automate all its collections and started all transactions through computer systems with barcode scanners and search terminals.
Housed in two floors, the Library has a huge air-conditioned fully furnished reading hall with Books, Non-book material, National and International journals with reprographic facility.
There is also a Digital Library unit with wi-fi enabled systems and 24 hours net connectivity.
The library takes all efforts to maximize the usage of its resources through various programmes involving the students like Book weeks and by encouraging them to utilize the resources to the maximum.
- Area of the library 5858 Sqft
- Efficiently functions in two floors
- Fully automated with Four Scanners and Bar Coding facilities
- Number of books – Around 28000
- Total Value – Around Rs 77 Lakhs
- No of Journals – 86
- Total Value of journals- Around Rs 3 Lakhs
The following functions are automated
- Data Entry of books
- Book processing
- Journal / Magazines indexing
- Issue of barcodes for magazines
- Circulation functions (Issue, Return and Renewal of books and magazines)
- Entry of membership details and assigning barcodes to members
- Search functions (Catalogue of books)
- Computerized reports of Books and Journals
- Indexing of Non – book materials
- Stock Verification of books
- A Notice Board has been installed exclusively for the Library which serves to
- Display News Headlines
- Announce New Arrivals of books
- Articles of Interest to students
- News clippings of various events held in our college and elsewhere
- Book Reviews by students
History of Books
||Ghosh P K
||Textbook of Biochemistry
||Edward Staunton etc
||The Complete Reference-Web Design
||Thomas A Powell
||Tata Mc Graw Hill
||Prayojan Moolak Hindi
||Comprehensive Environmental Studies
||Sharma J P