PEDAGOGY & ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
The teaching methodology of the department ensures that the students are exposed to a holistic educational experience in an active and dynamic learning environment giving them the opportunity to identify & realise their potential and to achieve excellence.
Some of the pedagogical initiatives of the department include:
- Management games – It involves the practical application of theoretical concepts/subjects in the form of thought inciting and motivating games like quizzes, puzzles and advertisement designing etc.
- Management Stories – The often told stories from epics like Mahabharata, Ramayana, Panchatantra are reiterated in the class environment and linked with principles of management and lessons learnt from them.
- Book Review – Students are encouraged to read self improvement books, biographies, success factors in business etc. so as to inculcate the best leadership practices.
- Film Appreciation – Visualisation has a great impact on learning. The students improve their business acumen by viewing and analyzing films on biographies of business legends, popular feature films that have management-related messages.
- Scrap book – A compilation of related real time information helps the students to stay updated with the current business scenarios.
- Audio- Video Cognitive Correlation Test – An audio/video presentation is made based upon which students are required to take up an MCQ test.
- Open-Source Technology – Students are encouraged to use Open-Source technologies to create classroom activities that enhance their conceptual learning.
The co-curricular activities and competitions for students are organised under the aegis of the Department Clubs. The Department has 2 Student Clubs – Drucker’s Progeny (Shift-I) and Mercatus (Shift – II). The Department Club trains the students to inculcate leadership qualities by providing the office bearers a chance to conceive and execute various events like Guest lectures, Workshops, Seminars and Symposia.
The Department also organizes Competitions at an Intra Mural and Intercollegiate levels. These events are designed to enhance the Skill-set of the students and prepare them for Corporate Careers. Some of the Competitions include
- Crisis Management
- Business Quiz
- Stress Interview
- B-Plan Writing
- Product Packaging
- Elevator Pitch
- Jingle Making
- Market your Product
- Event Management
- Code Breaker
- Web Designing
- App Marketing
At the Intercollegiate Competitions conducted in the year 2018, a total of 125 students from 15 colleges participated in the competitions and the overall trophy was bagged by Madras Christian College.
The Department publishes two student journals annually – ‘M-Power’ – Shift I and ‘Business Insights’ – Shift II. These Journals act as a medium to develop the journalistic and research skills of the students. The Themes for the year 2017-18 are ‘New Age Entrepreneurship’ (M-Power, Vol. 17) and The Global Mindset’ (Business Insights, Vol.1).
ANNUAL NATIONAL LEVEL STUDENT PAPER PRESENTATION COMPETITIONS
In order to inculcate a culture of research and to develop the presentation skills of the students, the department organises Annual National Level Student Paper Presentation Competition. This is the flagship event of the department and witnesses a participation of a large number of teams from top-notch colleges. The winners are selected by an eminent panel of judges comprising academicians, researchers, entrepreneurs, industry representatives and trainers. The theme for the year 2018 was ‘The New Age Entrepreneurship’. Attractive cash prizes are awarded to the winners and the winning team for 2018 was bagged by Mount Carmel College, Bangalore.
GUEST LECTURES AND WORKSHOPS
In order to supplement the curriculum and to provide real time exposure, the department organizes several Guest lectures and Workshops every semester. Academic experts and Industry professionals are invited to address the students on the latest trends in business.
An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of teaching. The students of the department get a hands-on experience through practice school in the following areas.
- Space Marketing for the department Journal
- Concept Marketing for seminars and workshops
- Business on Campus
- One-Day Business
As a part of the curriculum in the course on ‘Production Management’, the students are taken on a field trip to a production unit to enable them to witness the real time production systems and material handling procedures. In February 2018, the students visited TI Diamond Chain, Ambattur.
The research skills of the students are developed in the following ways:
- Core Course on Research Methods for Business offered for all students.
- Students are encouraged to undertake survey based internships in corporate organisations
- Students of B.B.A have to take up research based industry projects in the final semester in any of the functional areas of management- HR, Marketing, Production, Systems, etc.
- Thrust areas of student research include
- Marketing research and consumer behaviour
- Human Resource Management
- Advertising and Branding
- Socio-economic issues
The department is committed to the cause of creating a sense of social responsibility among its students. The students are encouraged to undertake several outreach and community development programmes. Between the years 2009-2016, the students undertook a community service project to promote awareness about emergency response procedures and victim care during the golden hour.
During the year 2017-18, the department launched ‘Kaushal Dhan’, a project to impart entrepreneurial and vocational skills training to the under privileged. During the year, 12 vocational skill training workshops were organized for 169 beneficiaries (parents of students of adopted schools, The Chennai High-school, Koturpuram and M.O.P Primary School, Triplicane).
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
ACADEMIC RESULTS – The department has recorded 100% Pass during the last three batches (2012-15 onwards)
The prominent recruiters for the department are
- Ernst & Young LLP
- The Royal Bank of Scotland
- Venture Intelligence
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.
- Tech Mahindra
- Mc Kinsey & Company
- Scope International Pvt. Ltd.
- Goldman Sachs Services Ltd.
- Cognizant Technology Solutions
- Wipro technologies
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Citi Bank
- Reach Management Consultant
- Ford Ltd.
The department has amongst its alumnus more than 100 successful entrepreneurs. Besides, several alumni hold prominent positions in diverse fields.