Department of Business Administration
One of the pioneer departments of our college, the Under Graduate Department of Business Administration was established in the year 1992 (Shift I).The course was also started in the Second shift in the year 2015.
We believe in
‘And unconditional courage to dream,
A never ending thirst for knowledge,
A true passion to excel,
A strong conviction to break free,
A clear vision to build,
A lasting desire to achieve,
A firm commitment to inspire’
The B.B.A course was rated the ‘Top 10 Best B.B.A Programmes in the Country’ by the India Today – AC Nielsen Survey (featured in June 18, 2012 India Today Magazine).
The B.B.A course was rated the ‘Top 10 Best B.B.A Programmes in the Country’ by the India Today – AC Nielsen Survey (featured in June 18, 2012 India Today Magazine) and ranked 56 in National Level Survey by Times BBA Education Ranking Survey 2018.
- Pass in Qualifying Examinations (i.e. XII in State Board/CBSE/ICSE or any equivalent Board)
- Commerce/Business Stream in XI & XII
The course curriculum for students admitted during the year 2018-19 is as follows:
- English I & II
- Language I & II
Core courses and Allied courses
- Financial Accounting (with Accounting Software I)
- Principles of Management
- Business Statistics and Operation Research
- Business Environment
- Marketing Management
- Managerial Economics
- Organisational Behaviour
- Cost and Management Accounting
- Entrepreneurship Development and Small Business Management
- Research Methods in Business
- Personnel Management and Industrial Relations
- Operations Management
- Advertising and Brand Management
- Financial Management
- Business Regulatory Framework
- Introduction to E-Commerce
- Investment and Tax Planning
- Retail Management
- Business Policy and Strategic Management
- Quantitative Aptitude
- Data Management and Analysis using Spread Sheets
PEDAGOGY & ACTIVITIES OF THE DEPARTMENT
The teaching methodology of the department ensures that the students are exposed to a holistic educational experience in an active and dynamic learning environment giving them the opportunity to identify & realise their potential and to achieve excellence.
Some of the pedagogical initiatives of the department include:
- Management games– It involves the practical application of theoretical concepts/subjects in the form of thought inciting and motivating games like quizzes, puzzles and advertisement designing etc.
- Management Stories– The often told stories from epics like Mahabharata, Ramayana, Panchatantra are reiterated in the class environment and linked with principles of management and lessons learnt from them.
- Book Review – Students are encouraged to read self improvement books, biographies, success factors in business etc. so as to inculcate the best leadership practices.
- Film Appreciation– Visualisation has a great impact on learning. The students improve their business acumen by viewing and analyzing films on biographies of business legends, popular feature films that have management-related messages.
- Scrap book– A compilation of related real time information helps the students to stay updated with the current business scenarios.
- Audio- Video Cognitive Correlation Test– An audio/video presentation is made based upon which students are required to take up an MCQ test.
- Open-Source Technology– Students are encouraged to use Open-Source technologies to create classroom activities that enhance their conceptual learning.
The co-curricular activities and competitions for students are organised under the aegis of the Department Clubs. The Department has 2 Student Clubs – Drucker’s Progeny (Shift-I) and Mercatus (Shift – II). The Department Club trains the students to inculcate leadership qualities by providing the office bearers a chance to conceive and execute various events like Guest lectures, Workshops, Seminars and Symposia.
The Department also organizes Competitions at an Intra Mural and Intercollegiate levels. These events are designed to enhance the Skill-set of the students and prepare them for Corporate Careers. Some of the Competitions include
- Business Pyramid
- Shark Tank
- CEO (Best Manager)
- Lawyer it Up
- Crisis Management
- Business Quiz
- Stress Interview
- B-Plan Writing
- Product Packaging
- Elevator Pitch
- Jingle Making
- Market your Product
- Event Management
- Code Breaker
- Web Designing
- App Marketing
- Mock Stock Exchange
- Poster Designing using Software
- Mock Court
At the Intercollegiate Competitions conducted in the year 2019, a total of 110 students from 09 colleges participated in the competitions and the overall trophy was bagged by Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai.
The Department publishes two student journals annually – ‘M-Power’ – Shift I and ‘Business Insights’ – Shift II. These Journals act as a medium to develop the journalistic and research skills of the students. The Themes for the year 2018-19 are ‘People Metrics’ (M-Power, Vol. 18) and ‘Entrepreneurial Ecosystem’ (Business Insights, Vol.2).
ANNUAL NATIONAL LEVEL STUDENT PAPER PRESENTATION COMPETITIONS
In order to inculcate a culture of research and to develop the presentation skills of the students, the department organises Annual National Level Student Paper Presentation Competition. This is the flagship event of the department and witnesses a participation of a large number of teams from top-notch colleges. The winners are selected by an eminent panel of judges comprising academicians, researchers, entrepreneurs, industry representatives and trainers. The theme for the year 2019 was ‘Green Practices in Business’. Attractive cash prizes are awarded to the winners and the winning team for 2019 was D.G. Vaishnav College, Chennai
GUEST LECTURES AND WORKSHOPS
In order to supplement the curriculum and to provide real time exposure, the department organizes several Guest lectures and Workshops every semester. Academic experts and Industry professionals are invited to address the students on the latest trends in business.
An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of teaching. The students of the department get a hands-on experience through practice school in the following areas.
- Space Marketing for the department Journal
- Concept Marketing for seminars and workshops
- Business on Campus
- One-Day Business
As a part of the curriculum students are taken on
- Heritage Walks,
- Mall visits,
- Visits to Industrial Units,
- Ecological Sites.
The research skills of the students are developed in the following ways:
- Core Course on Research Methods for Businessoffered for all students.
- Students are encouraged to undertake survey based internships in corporate organisations
- Students of B.B.A have to take up research based industry projects in the final semester in any of the functional areas of management- HR, Marketing, Production, Systems, etc.
- Thrust areas of student research include
- Marketing research and consumer behaviour
- Human Resource Management
- Advertising and Branding
- Socio-economic issues
The department is committed to the cause of creating a sense of social responsibility among its students. The students are encouraged to undertake several outreach and community development programmes.
|2009-2016||V Care||To promote awareness about emergency response procedures and victim care during the golden hour.
|School and College Students, Auto Driver, Member of Public.|
|2017 – 2018||Kaushal Dhan||To impart entrepreneurial and vocational skills training to the under privileged||Parents of Students of Chennai High School Kottapuram and M.O.P. Primary school, Chennai|
|2018-2019||Pagir||To Share awareness on eco- friendly alternatives to Plastics||Customers of 56 retail outlets in Chennai and Mall Visitors of Forum Vijaya Mall|