DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY
Year of Establishment: September 1996
Uniqueness of the Department
- Multidisciplinary approach in curriculum
- The Department attracts Civil Services aspirants.
- Empirical Research at under graduate level
- Regular field visits are organized to understand and link theory with practical knowledge.
- The programs prepare students for a range of careers:- Social Advocacy, Research, Teaching, NGO management, Policy-making both in public and private sectors.
- Faculty advisors offer constant support and guidance in academics, career choices and life coping skills.
A candidate, who has passed in Higher Secondary Examination, is eligible for seeking admission.
People’s Club :
Various intramural and intercollegiate activities are undertaken under People’s club.
Student Paper Presentation: Best paper will receive “Aachi Manorama Endowment Award”.
Journal: “SPOTLIGHT” in house publication of the department.
Projects: Research skills of the students are developed to link theory with practice. To name a few list of projects undertaken by the students of 2018-19
- The role of Social Media in facilitating communication during Kerala floods 2018.
- A study on Sathyavani Muthu Ammaiyar Ninaivu scheme.
- A study on the marriage practices of Illathu Pillai community.
- A sociological study of Tanjore painting artisans in Chennai.
- A study on plastic ban 2018-19 in Kanchipuram municipality
Visual Sociology /Ethnographic Research: List of topics on which documentaries were made by students.
- Past, Present and? of Water Bodies in Chennai
- Freedom of Fishermen
- Sustainable Transportation
- Devaaranyam – Sacred Groves of Tamilnadu
- Plastic Time Bom
Guest Lecture Organized during 2018-19
||Social Communication and Changing Mindsets -A People First Perspective
Senior Consultant, Faculty IndraPrastha Institute of Information Technology,
||Mahatma Gandhi – 150th birthday celebrations
Project co-ordinator, Vital for India
Philathrophist, Social Activist
||Nuances of Writing Civil Services Examination
Director of Excell Career Academy
||Role of Youth in Civil Society
Faculty at Officers IAS Academy
||Environmental Psychology – An overview
Faculty, Fsaunhofer Institute of Supteu & Innovation Research
||Cyber security: Contemporary significance and employment opportunities
Rocheston Press Pvt. Ltd.
The department ensures that the students choose the right organizations to undertake their internship at the end of the second year. To name a few:
Nature of Organization
Name of the Company
||SHRC, Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court, CMA,, Tamil Nadu Corporation for development of women, Fei Yue, Community Service Singapore, Southern Railways, IIM Ahmedabad, CMDA, State Information Commission
||YES Foundation, CRY,ICCW, Cancer Institute ,TCS CSR, TAFE CSR, Bhumi , Helpage India ,
India Cements , Ashok Leyland ,TVS India ,Rane, HCL, HP, Goldman Sach,
Students to undertake extensive community services under NGOs and other service organizations like:
Makkal Padhai, Aruvi, World wish, U&I, Teach for India, Cancer Institute, Ramakrishna math, SAFE PAWS, Rotary club, Born 2 win etc.
Avenues for Higher Education
- M.A Sociology
- M.A Media studies
- M.A HRM
- M.A Communication
- M.A (HRD Psychology)
- Civil Services
- Social Scientist
- Project Co-ordinators
- Community Development Officers
- Social Entrepreneurs
- R Executives
- Policy Planners
- Executives in C.S.R
|Divya S Sarathy
||Director, Born 2 Win NGO for Transgenders.
||Teach For India, South Zone Coordinator, Chennai.
|Asha Chandini R.M
||HR Manager, JPW Tec Services Pty Ltd, Sydney.
||H.R Executive, Indian Oil Corporation, Chennai.
||Senior Mobility Consultant, OLA, New Delhi.
||HR Executive, High Places International, California.
||Associate CSR, CII Confederation of Indian Industries, Chennai.
|Ananthitha K. Chari
||Assistant, Data and Policy, Brooklyn, U.S.A.
||Social Researcher ST.Johns Hospital, Bangalore.
||RBS- Process Associate, Bangalore
||Goldsman Sachs- Analyst, Bangalore
||Soft-Skill Trainer & Life Coach, Chennai.
||Catalog Associate, Amazon. Inc, Chennai.
||Tax Associate, Ernst & Young, Bangalore.