DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY
Year of Establishment: September 1996
Uniqueness of the Department
- Multidisciplinary approach in curriculum
- The Department attracts Civil Services aspirants.
- Empirical Research at under graduate level
- Regular field visits are organized to understand and link theory with practical knowledge.
- The programs prepare students for a range of careers:- Social Advocacy, Research, Teaching, NGO management, Policy-making both in public and private sectors.
- Faculty advisors offer constant support and guidance in academics, career choices and life coping skills.
A candidate, who has passed in Higher Secondary Examination, is eligible for seeking admission.
People’s Club : Various intramural and intercollegiate activities are undertaken under People’s club.
Student Paper Presentation: Best paper will receive “Aachi Manorama Endowment Award”.
Journal: “SPOTLIGHT” in house publication of the department.
Projects:Research skills of the students are developed to link theory with practice. To name a few list of projects undertaken by the students of 2018-19
- The role of Social Media in facilitating communication during Kerala floods 2018.
- A study on Sathyavani Muthu Ammaiyar Ninaivu scheme.
- A study on the marriage practices of Illathu Pillai community.
- A sociological study of Tanjore painting artisans in Chennai.
- A study on plastic ban 2018-19 in Kanchipuram municipality
Visual Sociology /Ethnographic Research: List of topics on which documentaries were made by students.
- Past, Present and? of Water Bodies in Chennai
- Freedom of Fishermen
- Sustainable Transportation
- Devaaranyam – Sacred Groves of Tamilnadu
- Plastic Time Bom
Students to undertake extensive community services under NGOs and other service organizations like:Makkal Padhai, Aruvi, World wish, U&I, Teach for India, Cancer Institute, Ramakrishna math, SAFE PAWS, Rotary club, Born 2 win etc.